Natural Odor Eliminators & Giveaway!
(This giveaway is now closed. Thanks to all who entered!)
Well, I had planned to do a recipe post today, but unfortunately, when I went to make the recipe last night I realized that I was missing one of the key ingredients.
As I scrambled to find something else to make for dinner (thank you, Trader Joe’s frozen bean burritos), I was also dealing with a very gassy dog (and no, she didn’t become gassy by eating the bean burritos).
I was about to light a candle to get rid of the smell when I remembered that I had some new natural odor eliminating products by Fresh Wave to try out: a Natural Odor Eliminator Home Soy Candle, a Natural Odor Eliminator Home Spray, and a Natural Odor Eliminator Multi-Purpose Additive.
According to the company’s website, these products “all use the power of nature for safe, non-toxic odor elimination without the use of perfumes or fragrances. Simple, natural, ingredients like Lime, Pine Needles, Aniseed Clove, Cedarwood and Water”.
Pretty great, right?
As I’ve mentioned before, I do not like to use most mainstream room sprays, plug-ins, or candles because they emit toxins into the air that my family and I breathe in each day. Luckily, the Fresh Wave products are not only toxin-free, but they are effective and make the house smell fresh and clean.
I’ll admit that before I tried them, I was worried that they’d make my house smell too “earthy”, if you know what I mean. Thankfully, these products didn’t give off a funky scent at all. They just completely neutralized the odors of the bean burritos and the dog.
There are also other ways to eliminate all kinds of odors from your home, including:
- Baking soda (sprinkle on the carpet before vacuuming; keep a box in your refrigerator to keep it smelling fresh)
- Active charcoal (can absorb odors inside your refrigerator)
- Coffee grounds (can absorb odors inside your refrigerator)
- Lemon (squeeze some lemon juice in a spray bottle filled with water and spritz the room with it or place half a lemon in the top rack of the dishwasher and run it to freshen the appliance)
- Eucalyptus oil (add a few drops to a spray bottle filled with water and use to clean your bathroom)
- Newspaper (stuffing your shoes with newspaper will soak up the moisture)
- Baking soda (sprinkle your carpet with some baking soda before vacuuming, add some to liquid soap before cleaning counter surfaces and appliances, or even add some to your laundry detergent)
- Tea tree oil (add two teaspoons to your wash to remove smells from laundry)
- White vinegar (pour one part baking soda to four parts of white vinegar in your toilet bowl to freshen it up; put out a small dish of vinegar to rid your home of cigarette smoke or other odors)
- Candles (light beeswax or soy candles with lead-free wicks to add fragrance to your home)
- Tulips (decorate your home with tulips to purify the air)
- Make my non-toxic home fragrance
- Eucalyptus (adding a sprig to any room can eliminate odors for up to two weeks!)
I just love how there are so many options when it comes to eliminating odors naturally, and I hope that you’ll try some of them out in your own homes.
In fact, thanks to Fresh Wave, one lucky reader will have the opportunity to try out all three products mentioned above for themselves! You’ll have four different ways to enter:
- Follow Fresh Wave on Twitter (comment back here to let me know you’ve done so)
- Like Fresh Wave on Facebook (comment back here to let me know you’ve done so)
- Like The Grass Skirt on Facebook (comment back here to let me know you’ve done so)
- Share your favorite trick for eliminating odors
Be sure to leave a separate comment for each entry. The winner will be announced on Monday, March 12, 2012.
Good luck and have a great day!
[Please note: Although I received the products above for free, I was not paid to do this review. The opinions stated in this post are my own, true thoughts about the products.]