Mommy Monday: Advice to new mothers
Today’s Mommy Monday topic is advice to new mothers.
Considering that I’m still a new mother myself, I’m hardly an expert, but I do know more today than I did four months ago (thank goodness) and have a few words of advice to offer.
1. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. My husband will probably laugh when he reads this because I rarely ask for help. Even though I might be a bit stubborn, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with asking for help when we need it. After all, even mommies have the right to shower, sleep, eat, or pee every now and then.
2. Don’t be afraid to turn down visitors. It’s natural for family members and friends to be excited about seeing your new baby, but the constant flow of traffic can also be stressful to a new mother- especially a first-time mother who is trying to get into the groove of mommyhood. I’m a people pleaser by nature, but I learned that pretty much no one will resent you for saying that now is just not a good time.
3. Make some time for your spouse or significant other. I already went into detail about this in my first Mommy Monday post, so I won’t repeat myself too much. I’ll just say that this one is so important and can help to keep your relationship strong. Plus, it is so sweet for children to see that their parents love one another and want to spend time together. That’s how I’ll rationalize taking dates nights at least.
4. Don’t expect to have all the answers. Before I had Michael, I bought every parenting book that I could find because I thought that I had to know everything. But you know what? I never read a single one of them. While there’s nothing wrong with wanting to be prepared, there’s also nothing wrong with letting your natural instincts be your guide. The thing is that you’ll figure things out as you go along, and you probably won’t ever have all of the answers anyway. And when all else fails, ask your mother.
5. Cherish every minute. The baby stage goes by so quickly. I cannot believe that Michael is already 4 months old! My biggest advice- above all else- is to savor every single second of the time you have with your little one. The nighttime feedings, the diaper changes, walking around with spit up all over my clothes- I love it all and wouldn’t dream of rushing it away.
What advice would you give to a new mother?
Have a great day!
(For more on Mommy Monday and how you can participate, visit Simply Just Lovely.)