Stay healthy this winter with an immune system boosting smoothie
I don’t know about you, but as a child, I thought that getting a fever or a case of strep throat during the week was like a gift from heaven.
No school? Well, amen!
But being sick as an adult is about as much fun as being sick as an 8 year old over Christmas break. When you have a job, kids, and/or a house to take care of there just isn’t time to be ill.
The doctors all tell us to wash our hands, exercise for at least 20 minutes a day, manage stress, get at least 7-9 hours of sleep each night, and drink lots of water.
We’re also advised to follow a healthy diet which is why I like to drink a smoothie that is loaded with lots of immune boosting foods. It not only tastes great, but guzzling a smoothie once a day is way more realistic for me than getting 9 hours of rest.
Immune System Boosting Smoothie
- 1/4 an avocado (to support adrenal function and help our bodies fight illness)
- 2 tablespoons of raw steel cut oats (which contain a type of fiber that really gives the immune system a kick)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (its lauric acid strengthens the immune system)
- 1 cup of coconut water
- 1/2 cup of mixed berries such as blueberries and raspberries (known immune system boosters)
- 1 kiwi (for vitamins E and C)
- 1 handful of spinach (which is loaded with all of the vitamins and nutrients needed to support a strong immune system)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (to fight bacteria)
Directions: Add everything to your blender and blend until smooth. Serve cold and drink to your health!
I also like to add a packet of Aloha’s Daily Good Greens (in the original flavor) for an extra punch. I am sure that the berry flavor would also taste great. (See my review of Aloha here for more info about their health benefits. Oh and their website also has some great recipes!)
What are your tips for staying healthy during cold and flu season? Am I the only one who loved getting sick as a kid in order to get out of going to school?
(PS- Don’t forget to enter my Bare Minerals giveaway!)